Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Everything But the Kitchen Sink Salad

After work yesterday I came straight home and met my hubby after his quick farmer's market shopping trip. He does really good shopping for fruits and veggies!
Now - why did I have to go home to meet him? Because he doesn't like to sort the refrigerator and make room for stuff! I have to laugh with that. I needed to be home to put the groceries away.
Men.......

So for dinner we just cooked up a tofu stir-fry, a staple in our house when we don't know what to make. He had bought broccoli and I was just excited to eat it. I'm not very good a 'flavoring' the food. I tend to go on the bland side. E is waaaay better at seasoning than me...and he didn't disappoint last night. Although I prefer my tofu a little bit more browned, it was still really good. The broccoli was al dente and purrrrfection...mmmmmm
I also threw some jasmine white rice in my new rice cooker. LOVE that thing - so easy. E and his family can cook rice in a pot over the stove, and it's delicious! But I try and fail horribly 90% of the time cooking rice over the stove. It's not cooked enough...or too much....or I forgot to add salt. I now can compete with those Dominican housewives and make some pretty decent rice.....
Moro on the other hand....well...I don't know if you can make that in a rice cooker..... and that's amazingly yummy...
I also wanted a salad (surprised myself on that one!), but seeing that we didn't have any lettuce I decided to make a more preferred salad for my palate - one WITHOUT lettuce.  So I think I would consider this a type of 'everything but the kitchen sink' type of salad.
It included:
Tomato
Red Pepper
Cabbage
Green Olives
Chick Peas
Lemon Juice
Balsamic Vinegar
Olive Oil
Seasoning

I just basically threw what sounded good together in a bowl, and yes, E helped me season it. Not as good as "Geek Charming"s 'everything but the kitchen sink sundae' for sure - but it turned out pretty good.
Crappy iPhone picture ;)



Oops...did I just mention Geek Charming? Well yes I did. And I liked that movie...... super-dork moment.


2 comments:

  1. I had to google who Geek Charming was and then realized I probably have never seen this! Fritz and I only had cable for a period of time when we were renting the upstairs of a dude's house and shared the downstairs living room, kitchen, and dining room - anyway, he paid for cable cause he liked it. But living with TWO dudes who had their dude friends around I could never watch The Disney Channel or other girly shows. I watched a ton of cooking shows.... But I learn more from allrecipes.com then anything I watched from back then. Anyway, the point was is I need to see if that is on netflix or hulu cause I have those!

    And I can't look at your food right now because I want to eat it. I'm so hungry right now. Fritz is making lunch and I can smell it and then looking at that... UHHH. We'll have to try Jasmine rice with our rice cooker. I could never make rice before we got our rice cooker. Now I had no excuse for a bit of time to NOT make rice when I wanted it with whatever Fritz may have cooked for dinner, but I fixed that quick. Just made a mushy pot and Fritz was like "How? How with this rice cooker?" And I just shrugged and said, "I burned water once." And he'll give me this look like 'Oh yeah how can I forget THAT?"' and then dump out my disaster and make a pot of Perfect. Rice.

    I've recently become a huge fan of cabbage. I want it in everything. All the time. And I like it cooked and crunchy. Mmmmmm... so you need to make a recipe out of this so I can try it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never learn anything from cooking shows either!! Maybe a little idea here and there, but I don't sit there and take notes! Plus they just make me hungry....

      My rice cooker is the BOMB. I bought it from Amazon. It the Aroma 8 cup rice cooker with steamer basket. Haven't steamed yet, I like my veggies al dente so I'm a little afraid of having to open it early to get them out and loosing steam for the rice. We HAVE learned to add a bit more water than recommended for the brown rice - it's still a little bit too undercooked for our tastes. I love that I don't have to babysit it, I just throw the rice and water in there and let it be until it beeps at me....

      Cabbage is awesome, I love the crunch it adds to salads, and it's awesome in soups. If I make anything with cabbage I will be sure to share!

      Delete